Sunday, July 1, 2007

Because We're Not God

1 Kings 19:16, 19-21 
Psalm 16:1-2, 5-11 
Galatians 5:1, 13-18 
Luke 9:51-62 

"Lord, do you want us to bid fire come down from heaven and consume them?" - Luke 9:54 

One day, I was giving a talk to a thousand people. 

Three rows from the front was a man who was sleeping like a grizzly bear hibernating for a winter. his jaw was open, his head tilted way back, and snoring to his heart's content. 

I screamed my messages. I jumped up and down. I made people laugh. I made people cry. Nothing happened. 

I felt anger boil within me. 

I felt disrespected! Does he not know who I am? And doesn't he know what he's missing? I prepared this talk for hours upon hours of study and prayer. I'm distilling gems of truths that will totally change his life! How dare he sleep on God's Word! 

After my talk, grizzly bear came up to me and said, "Bo, I don't miss coming here. You bless my life. Even if I'm sleepy. You see, I work night shifts in my factory and drove four hours just to come here this morning..." 

I felt like someone punched me in the solar plexus. 

I gave him a hug, "Brother, in my talk, you can sleep as much as you want to," I told him. 

Gosh, when will I stop judging people? Bo S. 

Reflection: Who are the people you've been judging? Are you God? Do you know all the details? 

Lord, teach me to withhold judgment. Remind me I'm not God and don't know everything. 

Blessed Junipero Serra, pray for us.

No comments: