Friday, July 6, 2007

Genesis 23:1-4, 19; 24:1-8, 62-67
Psalm 106:1-5
Matthew 9:9-13

“Those who are well do not need a physician but the sick do.” - Matthew 9:12

I was Obet: the “great pretender.” I puffed up with pride when people admired me because I was strong, intelligent and talented. At day’s end when I removed all my masks, I could’nt even look at the mirror. I dreaded to see the hypocrite staring back at me.

My self-definition was shaped by what others thought of me. But what they saw was just the tip of the iceberg. Below the facade of power were layers of ugliness:

I had chronic asthma.
I was terribly lazy and irresponsible.
I was insecure and had poor self-esteem.

When I couldn’t bear the emptiness any more. I surrendered. Then God moved and sent people as instruments of His truth and love. When I admitted I was sick, healing took place. Truth is beautiful.

St. Catherine’s song “I am Beautiful” best describes my experience. Every time I sing it, I am moved to tears reliving the moment of being immersed in His love.

A priest friend was right when he said, “The church of Christ is not a museum for saints. It’s a hospital for sinners, like you and me.”

Who am I? I am Obet, I am beautiful. I am loved. I am forgiven by the mercy of God! Obet C.

Reflection: Are you enjoying the lie? Afraid of the truth? Ask for His mercy and grace.

May I live in Truth O God that I may truly live. Amen.

St. Maria Goretti, virgin and martyr, pray for us.

No comments: