Tuesday, February 4, 2014

AGED TO PERFECTION?

2 Samuel 18:9-10, 14, 24-25, 30-19:3, Psalm 86:1-6, Mark 5:21-43
Link to Readings --> http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/020414.cfm


"Keep my life, for I am devoted to You; save Your servant who trusts in You." -Psalm 86:2

David was probably in his forties when he committed adultery with Bathsheba and arranged for her husband to be murdered. You could call this a mid-life crisis of sin. Several years later when David was in his fifties or sixties, his son Absalom tried to take over the kingdom and kill his father. When Absalom was killed in battle, David lamented: "My son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you, Absalom, my son, my son!" (2 Sm 19:1)
This is the same son with whom David wouldn't talk for five years (see 2 Sm 13:38 and 14:28). Yet, David truly forgave and kept forgiving Absalom. He loved him unconditionally. David grew from a lustful, murderous middle-age to a loving, forgiving, holy old age. David still needed much more purification and growth in holiness, but he allowed the Lord to change him significantly.
Jesus "progressed steadily in wisdom and age and grace before God and men" (Lk 2:52). How about you? We're all growing in age, but what about in wisdom and grace? Have you repented and forgiven? Have you left behind the sins of the past? Are you growing to "the full maturity of Christ" (Eph 4:15)? Grow; don't just grow old.


Prayer: Father, may my entire attention be on Jesus, as "I give no thought to what lies behind but push on to what is ahead" (Phil 3:13).

Promise: "Taking her hand, He said to her, 'Talitha, koum,' which means, 'Little girl, get up.' The girl, a child of twelve, stood up immediately and began to walk around." -Mk 5:41-42

Praise: Norm, a teenager, invited his father and grandfather to accompany him on a men's retreat. Together, they received Jesus in Word and Eucharist.

No comments: