Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Living Life

Tobit 3:1-11, 16-17
Psalm 25:2-9
Mark 12:18-27

“He is not God of the dead but of the living.” - Mark 12:27

I was the next speaker at a youth retreat and had the chance to listen to the first year speaker - a good friend and a brilliant trainor, Jon Escoto. Among the many things I learned from him was that there are two things that can’t grow: The dead and the “plastic” things.

I reflected on his statement and realized that when I drowned myself with limiting beliefs, I became a “zombie,” moving but essentially dead. These were the times when I wasn’t really growing and had gnawing feelings of inner rottenness. (cf. Lufe 17:37, “Where there is a dead body, the vultures gather.”)

Worse, I was a “plastic” zombie. My secret title for myself was “Obet: the great pretender.” Fr. Eugene Kennedy was right when he said, “It is not what we show off but what we hide away that tells our truest story.” When I was wearing the mask of “macho man,” people smelled the strong stench of my insecurities.

Then I embraced Jesus: The way, the truth and the life (John 14:6). Because He is the way, I grew in strength with my daily crosses. Because He is the truth, I grew in acceptance of my own person. Because He is the life, I grew in gratefulness and generosity with my God-lent life.

Did I grow? Indeed! Only living and true things grow! Obet C.

Reflection: “The glory of God is a human being fully alive.” - St. Irenaeus

Lord, live within us that we may live fully alive!

St. Norbert, bishop confessor, pray for us.

No comments: