Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Helping Someone Be Strong

Acts 20:28-38
Psalm 68:29-30, 33-35, 35-36
John 17:11-19

By working hard in this way, we must help the weak. - Acts 20:35

I worked hard to provide for my family and send my younger sister Cherry to college. I wanted her to finish her studies like any normal students do. However, I expected Cherry to study at my pace and not her own. I overlooked one important fact - Cherry has a short-term memory deficiency, is slightly deaf and has speech problems. She was diagnosed to have dyslexia. I was angry with her for being so dependent. I berated and belittled her, which made her more insecure.

As I grew in my relationship with Jesus, I became more compassionate with Cherry. It is not through my efforts. I believe it is His grace that made me love and accept my sister’s weakness. When Cherry saw the changes in me, she became open with her feelings and freely expressed her anger and joy. I am witnessing now how my sister is gaining confidence.

St. Paul’s words struck me hard. I must not only work to provide material things for my family. I must work doubly hard to bring them to Jesus. In Him, we can bare our weaknesses and still be accepted. RosAnn J.

Reflection: Do you need to encourage someone today?

Forgive me for treading down on the weak instead helping them become strong.

St. Didier, bishop, pray for us.

No comments: