Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Christian Dior

2 Samuel 12:7-10, 13
Psalm 32:1-2, 5, 7, 11
Galatians 2:16, 19-21
Luke 7:36 - 8:3

She dried his feet with her hair, kissed them, and poured perfume on them. - Luke 7:38

On our first Christmas together as husband and wife. Ed gave me a bottle of Christian Dior perfume as a Christmas gift. It was my favorite perfume. Not only was it an expensive brand, it really had this sweet, ritzy smell. I felt like an elegant, luxurious woman every time I wore it. I so loved by Christian Dior that I used it sparingly so it would last lost, even as I read somewhere that you must use perfume as fast as you can because fragrances have a short shelf life.

When finally I used up the perfume - after a year ago - I kept the bottle because of its sentimental value.

As I read today’s Gospel about the woman who poured perfume on the feet of Jesus. I ask myself, would have I done the same? Pour out my Christian Dior on the Lord’s feet? In all honesty, my answer is yes. The Lord is much, much more valuable that any bottle of Christian Dior.

Now, I go through my other possessions, things and people I value most. I study them one by one and ask myself what I could give up if ever the Lord asks me to do so.

In all honesty, I pray the Lord won’t ask so much of me! Cynthia S.

Reflection: What will you not do for the Lord?

Lord, make me a sweet smelling offering to You!

St. Gregory Barbarigo, bishop confessor, pray for us.

No comments: