Thursday, June 7, 2007

The God Of Surprises

Tobit 6:11; 7:9-14; 8:4-7
Psalm 128:1-5
Mark 12:28-34

I have heard that this woman has been married seven times and that her husbands died in the bridal chambers. - Tobit 6:14

When I was nine-months pregnant, my husband, Obet, was so excited he didn’t accept any talk assignment just for me! He asked someone to get our car in tip-top shape so that when the baby was due, Dad would be ready.

Every night, we a 15-minute walk around our neighborhood to help “ease” my labor and have a normal delivery. In one of the those walks, Obet shared with me that it is the baby who decides the time when it wants to come out, so we kept on requesting Rob (still in my womb) not to come out till our doctor arrives from her vacation.

The day came. When our OB’s secretary told us that Doc has arrived, I experienced an uneasiness that continued to worsen. I experienced labor pains. Since the car was being fixed, Obet fetched a taxi to bring me to the hospital. After two grueling days of labor, Rob gloriously came out - by Caesarian section! He chose a meaningful birthday - it was Pentecost Sunday!

My labor experiences taught me that although we prepare, God continues to surprise us. God is God! We simply have to trust. Joie C.

Reflection: Do you feel you’re preparing in vain? Be ready for His surprise!

Do your task in due season, in His time God will reward you. (Sirach 51:30)

Venerable Thomas a Kempis, confessor, pray for us.

No comments: