Thursday, June 21, 2007

To Each His Own

2 Corinthians 11:1-11
Psalm 111:1-4, 7-8
Matthew 6:7-15

But I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.” I may not be a trained speaker, but I do have knowledge.” - 2 Corinthians 11:5-6

I would always listen intently and watch in awe each time my favorite speaker, Lou, visits our branch. What’s hot to like about her? She’s intelligent, an exceptional lawyer, a gifted evangelist, a prolific writer, a true servant of God. In short, she’s my “Idol” (next to Jesus, that is) and I truly admire and respect her.

In all honestly, I wish it were only all good and positive emotions she evoked in me. There were moments when the Enemy sowed the seeds of envy and insecurity. The devil would craftily whisper how I can never be like her in any way, how I can never even come close to becoming as good a leader, a speaker and a writer as she is.

Paul’s vote of confidence in being an apostle of Christ reminds me that we all have been blessed by God with knowledge, skills, talents and every good thing we need to fulfill His will for our lives. Just like a printer who keeps on looking sideways at his opponents can slow him down and cause him to lose the race, so too can comparing ourselves with other cause us to lose sight of the mission He has set out for us. Dina P.

Reflection: Stop comparing yourself with others. Instead, focus your energies on how you can become more like Jesus.

Lord, give me the grace to appreciate the gifts you have bestowed on me to fulfill Your will in my life. May I forever be thankful for these and use them to bring You glory. Amen.

St. Aloysius Gonzaga, confessor, pray for us.

No comments: