Monday, June 4, 2007

One Paragraph Away

Tobit 1:1-2; 2:1-9
Psalm 112:1-6
Mark 12:1-12

“The store that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.” - Mark 12:10

Rejection comes in many forms. But whatever form it may take, it still hurts. It took me two years to write my first book Happy Secrets to an Obedient Life. First, the publisher told me it should be written for Filipino readers and we Filipinos love to read short sentences. So I rewrote it. However, they told me that they couldn’t find my personal touch, so I was rejected a second time.

I told myself then than I would just stick to preaching, teaching and singing. I forgot my book for six months. But when I realized that Jesus was much more important than my pain, I opened my book again and rewrote it, adding some stories of my life. I also asked help from my friends to edit, design and critique my book. I was now accepting rejection, learning from it and using it to my advantage.

As of this writing, I am undertaking four religion textbooks for high school.

Yes, rejection hurts. But pain is needed for us to value what we strive for. Rejection also keeps our feet on the ground and makes us humble.

Therefore, do not give in to rejection. You might be one paragraph away from a best selling book. Arun G.

Reflection: How do you react to rejections?

Jesus, You are more important than my pain.

St. Francis Caracciolo, confessor, pray for us.

No comments: