Proverbs 8:22-31
Psalm 8:4-9
Romans 5:1-5
John 16:12-15

Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance… - Romans 5:3

Can you imagine going through school without ever taking exams?

“That would be heaven!” you might say. True, but do you think you would learn as much?

The purpose of having exams is to test our knowledge. It forces us to review and make sure that we understand and retain lessons.

It’s the same thing when it comes to the trials we encounter in life. When I was a baby Christian, my understanding of a victorious life in Christ meant that the Lord would shield me from suffering, sorrow, and disappointment. How wrong I was!

With that mistaken notion, you can just imagine how devastated I was when things didn’t go according to how I had prayed. When loved ones got sick… when family members died… when something our community had fervently prayed for and believed in didn’t materialize.

As I matured in my faith walk, I realized that troubles and trials were a necessary part of growing in the Lord. Devotional writer Oswald Chambers explains, “God does not give us overcoming life: He gives us life as we overcome. The strain is the strength.” Rissa S.

Reflection: “When written in Chinese, the word “crisis” is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other one represents opportunity.” (John F. Kennedy)

Lord, I know that I will have trouble in this world. But I take heart because You have overcome the world. Amen.

Sts. Charles Lwanga and Companions, Ugandan Martyrs, pray for us.