Friday, June 29, 2007

Righteous

Acts 12:1-11
Psalm 34:2-9
2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17:18
Matthew 16:13-19

I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. - 2 Timothy 4:7

I was the one who made arrangements for my dads interment. I went to the office of the Memorial Park to settle our dues, which included the payment for the marker. I was asked by the office staff to choose the design for the marker - the font to be used, the layout and epitaph. The staff showed me a list of possible epitaphs but they were so common and ordinary. She told me that I could make my own.

It took me several weeks before I was able to choose the perfect epitaph for my dad’s marker. I wanted it to be special - one that would best described how he lived his life. Out of the many Bible verses, I chose the verse from 2 Timothy 4:7. I didn’t understand then why I keep coming back the this verse.

These were the words spoken by Paul as he neared the end of his life. Paul had been faithful to his call. He faced his death calmly, knowing he would be rewarded in heaven. My dad may not be like Paul but I can confidently say that he had lived a righteous life.

Before I forget. Today’s second reading was also the same reading on the day my father died - June 29, 2004. Today is his third death anniversary. Judith C.

Reflection: Are you keeping the faith?

When I reach the end of the road, may I look back and be confident that I lived a righteous life.

Sts. Peter and Paul, apostles and martyrs, pray for us.

No comments: