Thursday, May 3, 2007

North Of The Moral Compass

1 Corinthians 15:1-8
Psalm 19:2-3, 4-5,
John 14:6-14


Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

I tinkered with the T9 dictionary on my first ever Nokia cell phone and concluded it was useless. And irritating. I typed in W-H-E-N and all I got was gibberish. So I turned off the dictionary for good and typed in my messages in the traditional way: 1 click for W, 2 clicks for H, 2 clicks for E and 2 clicks for N. Or to shortcut, I just typed in W-E-N. Now that's the way to text.

But one day, a geeky friend of mine said that the dictionary on the cell phone was the easiest thing to use. In fact, it makes texting much more efficient. He pulled me aside and taught me how to use it.

Oftentimes, that's how we are with many things in life. We don't know the whole truth about the matter so it's easy to make wrong judgments.

That's why Jesus says He is the Truth. Without Him as the north of our moral compass, right and wrong would be relative - subject to whoever is making the judgment. In our world of grays and compromises, He is the Voice that says, "This is the way; walk in it" (Isaiah 30:21). Rissa S.

Reflection: Who is your ultimate authority when it comes to truth?

Lord, I set You as the absolute Truth in my life. Let me live according to the Truth today. Amen

St. Adalsindis, abbess, pray for us.

No comments: