Acts 16:22-34
Psalm 138:1-2, 2-3, 7-8
John 16:5-11

“But if I do go away, then I will send him to you.” - John 16:7

I was amazed: How could a baby move that fast? I was watching my friend’s five-month-old girl on the bed while her mom quickly used the bathroom. “Keep your eyes on her. Don’t leave her for a second,” she instructed…and it wasn’t long before I knew why. As soon as the mom turned her back, the infant started rolling with lightning-fast speed towards the edge of the bed. If I hadn’t jumped in her general direction to act as a human roadblock, she would’ve had one of her first tastes of excruciating pain. Babies, because they are not yet fully aware of danger, do not realize that thrilling activities sometimes end in disaster. Responsible parents that and caregivers know this and never leave babies unattended.

God knows me. He knows that half the time. I have no idea why I make unwise decisions. He can see the bigger picture so He knows when I’m headed for a major bump or pothole in the road. In many ways, I am just an infant, reliant on someone bigger.

A very long time ago, Jesus almost didn’t want to leave His flock but because He knew He had to go, he had a backup plan - He called on the babysitter of babysitters, the ever-present guide who does not take His eyes away from those in His care. Today the Spirit is still very much available to all those who are afraid to fall off the edge. Anna dG.

Reflection: How often do you call on the third member of the Trinity?

Holy Spirit, watch over me and protect me from harm.

St. Andrew, martyr, pray for us.