Thursday, May 17, 2007

Backseat Driver

Acts 18:1-8
Psalm 98:1-4
John 16:16-20

If you are lost, you yourselves must take the blame for it! - Acts 18:6

“We are lost - again,” I told the company driver assigned to me.

My driver was new. The one he replaced, who had been my driver for nine years, resigned because he found a better job abroad. Being my driver for such a long time, he knew the routes to the places i frequented. So I just read in the car and left the driving to him.

When the new driver took over, I presumed he knew the places I went to, so I read in the car, as had been my habit, and left the driving to him. But in the first week, we often got lost. Much as I didn’t want to, I became a backseat driver for a month or so, until my new driver became familiar with the routes.

When it comes to my own life, I’m responsible for where I go. While the Lord is there to lead me, I’m the driver and so I should know where I am going and be familiar with the routes I have to take toward a happy life here on earth and on to heaven. If I get lost, as the reading today points out, I have only myself to blame. Cynthia S.

Reflection: Do you know how to take responsibility for you own actions?

Lord, guide me; don’t let me go astray on my way to You.

St. Adrio, martyr, pray for us.

No comments: