Thursday, May 10, 2007

Love, Faithfulness and Obedience

Acts 15:7-21
Psalm 96:1-2, 2-3, 10
John 15:9-11

“If you keep my commandments…” - John 15:10

I love my son purely and unconditionally. He enjoys my love tremendously. But sometimes he gets it wrongly. He thinks my love allows him to do everything that he likes even if it can hurt him - like playing violent computer games or eating too much or staying out in the sun too long.
Let me get it straight. He’s playing Counter Strike at times or bringing on pork chops and barbecue or burning his skin while playing at noontime does not remove my love for him. But if he continues on disobeying me (and his mom, especially) he will “damage” himself seriously.
Every time my son obeys us, the more he becomes open to the pureness of our love. But when he disobeys, he closes and shuts himself off to that true love meant for him.
Jesus loves us purely and unconditionally. But that love doesn’t mean we can do anything we want because he’ll continue to love us anyway. Nope! Doesn’t work that way. We need to be faithful and follow his commandments. Why? Because if we don’t, we will seriously hurt ourselves. And Jesus, who loves us so much, wouldn’t want that to happen.
Keeping His commandments is for us. It beautifully opens us more to His pure love.
Love. Be faithful. Obey! Alvin B.
Reflection: Does your love to God translate into faithfulness and obedience? Or do you understand God’s love as license to do anything you want?
Lord, I want to be more open to Your love by following Your commands. By Your grace make me faithful and obedient. Amen.
St. Alphius, martyr, pray for us.

No comments: