Saturday, May 12, 2007

Instructions

Acts 16:1-10
Psalm 100:1-2, 3, 5
John 15:18-21

“If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first.” - John 15:18

As a grade five student, I knew how it felt not to belong. I was only one in our class with thick, geeky black framed eyeglasses. I was ranked the fourth heaviest boy in our batch. (Gee, I really thought I was the fifth.) And while all of my classmates wore all long pants, I was wearing my Grade 4 shorts. So when I got to high school I vowed to myself that I will never again be mocked. I made sure I wore the latest fashion. Never mind if I looked like an uncooked sausage in my stretch pencil-cut pants. And of course, I mastered the art of tucking in my tummy, taking full breaths only when nobody is looking.

Sigh! The things we do just to gain the world’s approval.

Sometimes doing what God wants requires us to make unpopular decisions. Many times following Him means saying yes when the world say no; telling the truth even when it is more convenient to lie; and keeping a promise even if it means going out of our comfort zones.

Today’s reading reminds us that Jesus went through the humiliation, persecution and rejection long before us. Are you being despised for the sake of the Gospel? Rejoice, you are in good company. Randy B.

Reflection: When faced with a choice between the approval of the world and doing God’s will, what will I choose?

Lord, give me the character and strength to choose you over the approval of the world. Make me strong in my commitment to do Your will amidst the opposition and the temptations of the world. Amen.

St. Dominic de la Calzada, hermit, pray for us.

No comments: