Tuesday, May 29, 2007

To Bribe Or Not To Bribe?

Sirach 35:1-12
Psalm 50:5-6, 7-8, 14, 23
Mark 10:28-31

“But offer no bribes…” - Sirach 35:11

“Can I see your driver’s license, please?” asked the traffic policemen as I rolled down my car window. “What was my violation, sir?” I inquired. “Ma’am, no left turn po dito.”

Honestly, I didn’t notice that there was a no left turn sign. Besides, I used to pass by there before although it had been months since I last passed that road, so the policeman could be right after all.

I tried to reason out with the traffic enforcer but he kept on asking for my license. I had no choice but to give it to him. I pleaded that he let me go. He went again to the back of my car. I looked at my side mirror to check what he was doing. He was holding the booklet but the pen wasn’t touching the paper. He only appeared to be writing on something.

He eventually let me go without giving me a ticket. And I thank him profusely and uttered a blessing for him. I thank God too that I didn’t give in to the temptation to bribe him. Judith C.

Reflection: Trust in the Lord to get you out situations that are not of your own doing.

You find the right way of doing things always, Lord. May I learn to trust more readily.

St. William Arnaud, martyr, pray for us.

No comments: